Saturday, 6 June 2009

AA Box

.
.

.
.
members of the Automobile association ( the AA) once relied on the AA's roadside phones to call for breakdown help, but in the days of high mobile phone usage they were phased out because drivers no longer used them.

Very few remain and those that do are usually preserved by listed building status or because they are in areas of outstanding rural beauty, mainly in Wales and Scotland, such as this one..

The first such box was built at Ashtead in Surrey in 1911 and they at first were intended as shelters for passing AA patrolmen. Later they became available to AA members, who could call for help free of charge.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget