Saturday, 3 October 2009

The 'new' Low Light, North Shields

.

.
The tall white tower seen here was built between 1808-10 by Trinity House, Newcastle, to replace the Old Low Light which served as a navigational aid to ships. When aligned with the `new` High Light higher up the river bank to the West it indicated a safe shipping channel to vessels entering the river Tyne. At the top right of the picture can be seen some of the ruins at nearby Tynemouth Priory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget